Thursday, October 2, 2008

Day One -- New House

I am exhausted.

So Pete and I decided that we don't have enough to do so we bought a foreclosed house. We are going to fix it up for rental property.

There is a LOT to do so we started with the basics - cleaning the bathrooms. It was gross. Had my face mask and even some goggles, though I don't think I used the goggles correctly.

They kept fogging up - maybe the face mask acted as a funnel to trap my breath in the goggles....I literally could not see. I hope they are defective because if I just used them incorrectly I am not sure what that says about me. Both bathrooms look much better and are company-ready! (If company likes using a bathroom with no door).

PS - C.L.R. is THE BEST thing to use on rust stains in a toilet. Two words - sparkling clean.

After making our facilities usable, it was time for landscaping. I learned how to use a pick ax -- really thought I was going to plunge the blunt end into my head as I was trying to loosen errant trees, but luck was on my side.

Pete and I "fixed" some unfinished landscaping projects which involved picking up random piles of rocks throughout the yard and so much raking I am almost getting a blister.

I even crawled under the deck to clear out some rocks, leaves and other junk. I was on a roll. Very glad that I did not meet up with any snakes or other creepy crawlies.

Pete re-keyed the locks, put a new door on the garage (impressive), crawled up on the roof to clean the bushes out of the gutters and gave me helpful hints (don't leave the rake tines up in the yard or you will end up as a tragic comedy.) I'm embarrassed that I even needed to be told that.

More landscaping tomorrow and Pete will put gutter guards up -- back on the roof again. We'll see if I am able to move after all of that fun.

No comments: