Friday, April 30, 2010

No Phone Zone

I get it now. I’ve been hearing the messages for a while now, I just did not think it was realistic. I NEED to multitask. I don’t have time to just drive to and from work. I need to also be on a conference call, having a chat with someone on my team, venting with one of my peers or talking to my mom without the kids acting crazy.

A little over a year ago we were getting ready to have one of Pete’s former co-workers and her family over for dinner and a play date. I remember Pete sitting on the couch reading an e-mail from Laurie. She had to cancel because her mom was struck by a car and killed. Later we found out her mom was out for a walk and the driver of the car, a teenager, was texting while driving. Laurie’s mom was her best friend and I’ve seen her Facebook posts and read her blog over the last year. It has been heartbreaking to see what she has gone through. I watched that British PSA on You Tube last year about the texting girls and thought that it was a good thing I don’t text and drive (knowing full well that phone conversations are also distracting.)

Laurie has focused her energies on becoming an advocate against distracted driving. What she said made sense. Every time I took a call while driving I thought about her, but did it anyway because that media call could not wait, I was on a long, boring drive to Fargo or, really, because if the phone rings you answer it.

On the Today Show this morning they compared the distracted driving campaign to early efforts for drunk driving and seatbelt laws when it finally clicked. I would never consider driving drunk or without my seat belt but have made countless excuse why I cannot possibly shut the phone off while driving. Ever since I became a mom I have felt this obligation to do everything in my power to stay alive for my kids. I’m committed to regular exercise; I eat healthy foods (on most days) and am determined to get my BMI back to the healthy range. My days of dumb risks are over. I don’t ride on motorcycles and I wear my helmet when I ride my bike. I say a prayer every time I get on an airplane or start on a long car ride that I will get home safely to my kids.

So I’m going to do it. Yes, I feel lame for getting on board with Oprah, but I will make my car a No Phone Zone. It is not going to be easy since old habits are hard to break. It is going to take planning – figuring out directions BEFORE I start on a trip instead of calling someone. Pulling over to use the phone if it is unavoidable. Planning my week so that I don’t have to take calls in the car.

I may be late for some calls or miss some media opportunities but I cannot imagine living with the guilt if I cause someone else’s death because I just have to take a call. And hopefully I increase the chance that I’ll be around for my kids. That is motivation enough.

1 comment:

Addie said...

Good post! My tip: Audiobooks - That's how I curb my need to multitask when I drive. You're a lot less likely to call someone when you're in the middle of a really good book. I just finished listening to Mennonite in a Little Black Dress - great book!