Tuesday, December 8, 2009

To catch a mouse...

We have a mouse problem. Not sure how they are getting in, but we are having a real hard time getting rid of them. These are no ordinary mice. They are some kind of super-intelligent stealth mice. Traps are useless.

The back story:

A few weeks ago we noticed mouse poop. We cleaned out under the sink and set some traps. I showed the kids the traps and the loud noise they made when triggered. Told them DO NOT TOUCH THESE. You guessed it, the next day I was cooking and I hear Emmett say "what is this fo---SNAP". His finger was not caught but the trap did snap him. I asked him if he was going to touch the mouse trap again. In between crying he sniffed out a "yes". Well then I can't help you...

Fast forward a few days. I almost vomited when I saw mouse poop in the SILVERWARE DRAWER. eeeeeeeew. So, another round of bleach. and we set a trap in the drawer.

The next morning Pete mentioned that he saw that I moved the trap. I didn't move the trap. That sneaky little boy has a habit of putting his breakfast spoon back in the drawer (why do we have mice?!?) and he must have noticed the trap and he moved it to the floor. WITHOUT SETTING IT OFF. Crappy trap or crafty kid? not sure.

Then we went to the Dells for almost a week. We set out multiple traps and mouse poison. Got home and nada. We cannot seem to catch these suckers. But no more mouse poop so maybe the mouse problem is gone.

No such luck. A few days later I found mouse poop by my treadmill. Now I am the first to admit I do not use it every day, but by no means is it so unused that a mouse should take up residence.

So the mice are not gone. they are not falling for our traps. There have been two sightings but no captures.

Which leads me to our last-ditch effort. Last weekend Wynne and I decorated gingerbread houses at my cousin's house. Since we probably still have mice I can't leave it out (why feed the intruders). So we let the kids have at it tonight, knowing we are going to toss it. But Pete had a final idea. Let's set a trap right by the house and see if that lures the mouse. This plan has many, many holes but we are at the end of our rope. And there is a good chance we'll catch Emmett. But he's got to learn...




UPDATE: No luck, but no new sings of the critters anywhere. Are we in the clear???

1 comment:

Dana said...

I might be more sympathetic... if I wasn't laughing so hard. Funny story! Good luck outsmarting the critters, and the toddlers.