Friday, November 14, 2008

Back at the house

Finally had a day that I could dedicate to working on the house. It got old really quickly.

We started off the day doing a project for work - we have an employee giving campaign - if everyone gives we all get a free day off. So we are doing a You Tube campaign talking about what we would do with our free day off.

Mine is below but this was actually round two. We shot the first one and I went back to our house to pee and upload the video and realized that I had to re-shoot. If you ever want to get really depressed, shoot a video of yourself with no makeup on. I am not usually that vain but this was AWFUL. So I had to put on makeup and try again.

As far as actual work goes -- it was kitchen cabinet day. We removed the (33!!) cabinet doors and sanded the gunk and grime off of them. Our contractor suggested an easier way to clean the doors -- we used a chemical to strip the gunk and varnish.

That worked for the moderately dirty doors but I had to go back to the belt sander for the really bad ones. (Note to self - pay more attention to the cabinet doors in our kitchen - I usually only wipe them when I spill something. Really don't want to have to use a machine to clean them.)



The plumbing inspection was supposed to be today but they were too busy so maybe next week. If you watched the video you will see the fancy way we flush the toilet. Luckily the house is only a few blocks away from our house because I still drove home to use the facilities. It is weird enough with no door -- has to be a pretty big emergency to use the bucket/flush method.

I also scraped a part of a wall (many many layers of wallpaper) while I was waiting for Pete to deliver the chemicals. I think it will take another solid week of just scraping wallpaper.

I am realizing that home improvement projects are like the snow. When it first snows - you want to play in it, don't mind shoveling it and are generally pretty excited about it. Then it keeps coming. And coming and just starts taking over. OK - not really that overwhelmed by the house just yet but I am lucky that Pete is doing most of the work and does not seem to get tired of tedious work.

No comments: